Exclusive Transfers to Mangatepopo
- Duration: 30 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Otukou, National Park
- Product code: EXCLUSHUTTLE
Tongariro Mountain Shuttles offers an efficient shuttle service. We will collect you from your desired pick up location then transfer you to the beginning of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing (Mangatepopo)
Trek across volcanic alpine landscape of dramatic contrasts – steaming vents, glacial valleys, ancient lava flows, alpine vegetation and vivid crater lakes, all with stunning views.
This challenging trip begins at 1120 m, climbs the Mangatepopo Valley to the saddle between Mount Tongariro and Mount Ngauruhoe, through South Crater before climbing again to Red Crater, the highest point on the crossing at 1886 m.
You will then descend on a volcanic rock scree track to the vivid Emerald Lakes, known as Ngarotopounamu (greenstone-hued lakes). After passing Blue Lake, also known as Te Wai-whakaata-o-te-Rangihiroa (Rangihiroa’s mirror), the track sidles around the northern slope of Tongariro, then descends in a zigzag track down to the road end at 760 m.
Wear strong, rigid boots to prevent slips when descending the steep scree slope from Red Crater.
Be prepared for a long and challenging day out.
Ensure you take:
- plenty of drinking water - water along the track is not suitable for drinking
- a water/windproof jacket and pants, hat and gloves, sunscreen and wear warm, layered clothing
- sturdy footwear such as tramping boots
- head torch and mobile phone.